My Essex County "Big Year"


I started birding in May of 2011 but only started taking it seriously last Fall.  I found myself picking up ID features and a few calls but was determined to learn more - I was hooked.  I spent a lot of time on the hawk tower at Holiday Beach last fall and I found myself birding at every opportunity and keeping track on e-bird (you should be too if you're not!).  I didn't care what the weather was, it was just great to be outside and I was loving the challenge of IDing new birds.  I've also joined a few birding organizations - Holiday Beach Migration Observatory and OFO - it really is an addictive pastime.

I went out to see the movie The Big Year with a large group of local birders.  It got me thinking and asking the question - How many birds could I ID in one year in Essex County?  I knew I wouldn't be able to travel all over North America but I could definitely swing my own 'backyard'.  With areas like Point Pelee, Ojibway Park, Holiday Beach, and Hillman Marsh in my territory, I figured I should go for it.  I knew I wouldn't be breaking any records, but I needed a new challenge and it would force me to study the birds.  I set a goal in March of 250 birds - just an arbitrary number.

Well, low and behold, I'm right on track (fingers crossed) to hit my target.  As of last night, I hit 247 species that I was able to ID myself either by call or visual.  The last two birds being a Virginia Rail and a Northern Saw-whet Owl.  Both species that I was trying hard for early in the year and through the spring.  I "knew" in my brain that I saw a Virginia on Pelee Island in the spring, but the view was so quick and no one else in the group noticed it, I didn't count it.  That one was really bugging me all spring and summer because I wasn't seeing or hearing any in the area.  They were being reported, I just didn't find one.

I ran into Dwayne Murphy the other day at Point Pelee and he mentioned that he had seen a Virginia off the marsh boardwalk.  I was determined to get that bird.  I tried for about 30 minutes with no luck - lots of Soras though.  The next morning, that bird was my goal - this time I wasn't disappointed.  It popped out of the reeds 2 times for me.  First time I got enough on it to call it but I stuck around to get a better look.  I didn't get any good pics but I did get my "ID" shot - good enough!

The next night I got word that Northern Saw-whet owls are on the move in the area.   I headed out to the banding station to help out.  I knew I couldn't count the bird if it was in the net, banded, or released but at least I could get a look at these little guys.  Well just before the banding process was set up and started, one started calling!  Tick!  Bird number 247.   Two new birds in 2 days.  Both Lifers.  What a great week.

Even if I don't hit 250, I'm pretty happy with what I've been able to accomplish so far, especially since I'm just a year and half in to my birding "career".  I'm hoping for some snow in December - I still need that pesky Snow Bunting!  They eluded me in the area last winter.  It won't be a lifer, but a new winter bird.

In case you're interested, here's a list of my birds so far...

Next bird prediction - Golden Eagle (or a Swainson's Hawk would be nice!)